Hi everyone! I made this three piece canvas for my girls' bedroom since I could not find any that would match the theme and color of their room. I used the new paper collection from Webster's Pages "Sweet Routine" together with paints and mediums from Shimmerz.
Here are individual shots of the canvas pieces...
I have been receiving emails about how I work papers and paints in my canvas frames without getting the papers all warped. So here are a few tips you might want to consider...
1. The first thing I do is add color to my canvas. Make sure that you get a good quality canvas that has been stretched and primed with gesso properly. If the mists, paints, inks etc you apply are easily absorbed and spread then you have a good canvas. If the mists resist or if it pools together and leaves uneven blotches of color in your canvas then you might want to give it a coat of white gesso first and let it dry.
2. The mists I used for my canvas pieces here are from Shimmerz. I used a pink and a yellow color.
3. Now, this is important... mists are water based so once you brush a sealer over it, the colors will likely run. To prevent this, I spray another colorless mist with shimmer to give the canvas an extra coat of protection.
4. After the mists are fully dry, I then take a soft gel medium (you can use gloss or matte) and use a palette knife to completely cover the canvas. This will protect the colors you have initially laid over the canvas.
5. While the canvas is still wet with the soft gel medium, I immediately add my cut papers or collage items. I would normally brush a thin coat of soft gel medium under the papers as well to help it adhere better to the canvas.
6. Once all the papers are in place, brush a coat of gel medium on top of the papers. This will seal everything. Your canvas (with the mists and papers) will now be protected from moisture and dust.
7. Once the canvas is dry, I then add texture pastes.
8. I used the Shimmerz Dazzelerz together with a stencil and a palette knife..
9. Lastly, to add the textured edges, I mix equal amount of gesso and clear granular gel and apply it on the edges of the canvas.
I hope you guys will find some of the tips I mentioned helpful when you create your next collage/ canvas piece.
Also remember, If you guys shop at the SHIMMERZ online store, just mention my name at the INSTRUCTIONS TO MERCHANT space and you will get a FREE sample sized jar of Dazzlerz or Texturez or a full sized bottle of Dimensionz of your color choice!
If you have any questions, please just post it in the comments section and I will do my best to answer you as soon as I can. I will be checking the blog every now and then.
If you liked this post, I would love to hear from you. It would give me an idea on what you would like to read about and see here.
Thanks for your visit!